Friday, October 7, 2011

Jack Kerouac




Jack Kerouac is the person I chose as a inspiration. He wrote one of my all time favorite books On the Road. The story is about how he hitch hiked around America in the late 40's and early 50's. The thing I find Inspirational isn’t so much the author himself but more the fact that he was able to just get up and go across the country, you can’t do that anymore. Mostly because the amount of money someone would need to have would be insane and there is the possibility that you would be walking the whole way there because no one would pick you up, or if someone did they might just murder you with an axe.
I also like this because I have an uncle who really kind of reminds me of this story. He once told me that he hitch hiked from Georgia to Washington D.C in a watermelon truck, I don’t know if he was just feeding me a line or not, but I remember thinking I hope it’s true, because that is the coolest thing ever.
It’s a story from a time period that isn’t around anymore and the people who remember it won’t be around forever either.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my mom's stories from when she was younger. She tells of how she used to hitchhike all around the US with no problems and no money. I wish we could still do that today!

    ReplyDelete