Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Introduction Blog- Ashlie

Hi, I’m Ashlie Saunders. The best book that I have recently read was The Hunger Games, which is also one of my favorite books. I am a freshmen this year and planning on majoring in nursing.

“I am moved to write these pages now because my own son, at the age of ten, is taking on himself the griefs of the world, and in particular the griefs of his father. He tells me that when I am gripped by sadness, he feels responsible; he feels there must be something he can do to spring me from depression, to fix my life and that crushing sense of responsibility is exactly what I felt at the age of ten in the face of my father’s drinking.”
This quote struck me in a lot of ways. It shows how he felt responsible for his father’s drinking problem, and how he thought if he could change things he would be able to fix all his father’s problems. It has caused him to remain depressed about the situation, which in turn causes his son to think he is the cause of his father’s depression. The fact that the authors father’s drinking had an effect on not only his life, but his sons, and potentially further generations, lives stood out as well. Most people think one event, or series of events, have a short term, mild effect, but this is a great demonstration of how false this thought can be. I think the author writing about this, and realizing what was occurring, was his way of attempting to break the vicious cycle that his father’s drinking has caused. I feel his main purpose for writing this paragraph, and this whole story for that matter, was to try to prevent further generations in his family from feeling the burden him and his son felt.

2 comments:

  1. wow, that really makes you think about others and how people may be dealing with this sort of thing everyday and their children has to face the same thing their parents are facing, even though it happened so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it strange how pretty much the exact same thing that the author went through as a child, like feeling guitly, his own son went through as well.

    ReplyDelete